Wednesday, May 28, 2014

What is a Dad?

According  to Websters Dictionary the defintion of a Dad is a father. You ask what is a Father? According to the Websters Dictionary, a father is a male parent. This is too vague for me. To be a father is far more than a male parent. Anyone can a father but to be called a dad is far more special.

Dads have been portraited on tv shows, in movies and books in different ways. Some are positive and some are negatitive sometimes giving a good or bad rap to the role of a dad. Sterotyping is also used causing people to blur the lines of reality of being a dad.

Some dads want to have nothing to do with their children for different reasons. Any male figure in their lives can be a father to them. Uncles, Grandfathers usually step up to take the role of a dad. Even when a person remarries sometimes the stepfather is more of a dad than their birth father.

A fathers role in a child's life is very important regardless of who the father figure is. If he is nurturing, loving, full of support, gives lots of wisdom and advice, makes you feel safe.  This is what a dad is.

I have the best dad in the world. He has gone above and beyond what a father is. He has been all of the above and more.  As a child I had the perfect childhood. My friends use to call my house the Cleavers. You know the tv show , Leave it to Beaver. Anyway my dad was a city worker who worked hard to provide for his family. He always helped my mother with everything when we were small. He use to start to cook because he would be home from work before her. He would also help clean. He and my mom both instilled morales and values which have benefited myself and my sister over the years .He is also the best Grandfather in the world to Peter. Because of him I am the man and father that I am today. He is loving , caring, always being supportive. He gives me advice still till this day which I appreciate even more.  What is a dad you ask? You are looking at one.

Happy Father's Day to all of you Dads!


No comments:

Post a Comment