Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Bring Your Child to Work Day Revisited.

Bring your Child to work day was not originally started the way it is celebrated today. It was originally started in 1993 by the Ms. Foundation for Women. The intent was to introduce girls direction and insight into the work world. Now they include boys because they are interested in seeing were their mothers or fathers work. 

One day back in March at my son's daycare another child asked my son if his mommy or daddy was bring him to work on that special day. He did no know about it because he is younger than some of the other children that go there.  Peter is only three and a half and the child who asked him is 5 years old. When he came home from daycare he asked us if he could come to work with me or my wife. Where my wife works is really not the best place to have children. She works in the offices of a cemetery. So I decided to take him with me because I work for the NYPD at their headquarters and I knew that the department would be doing something for the children. My office was so excited to see Peter because the last time people saw him he was only one and a half.

He was very quiet at the beginning which is normal for a child going to a strange place. He warmed up and was a delight to all of the people in the office. He sat at my desk and saw all the things that I have from him including drawing and pictures of him. He ate his breakfast and enjoyed being at daddy's work.


My office did not have anything special that day but the department themselves went all out. Lots of things to see and do.
We spent half of the day doing all of the activities that were set up.

First we took portraits of us and then Peter by himself. They were done by our Photo Unit which has professional photographers. 

We then went down to the court section where they bring in people who are being arrested. Peter sat in a patty wagon and was walked to the cells. They then gave him a metal detector wand to see if I had metal on me. It beeped. They showed him the big holding cell and gave him a box of cereal. They explained that the cereal is what they give them when people are brought in the morning.


We then proceeded outside. There was a  rock wall for the kids to climb, horses for the children to ride, old police cars and police motorcycles. We waited on the line for Peter to ride the horses but when the horse brought his head down to Peter he became scared. He did not want to ride the horse then. We walked over to the rock wall and Peter wanted to go in it but the spaces were too big for him to reach to pull himself up. I promised him next year he will be able to do it. We went to the old police cars next. He really enjoyed them. We actually got inside if one. Then Peter asked me to sit in the back. I did and told him I never want to see him in the back seat of a police car. He faked driving me around.

The next thing Peter became excited about was sitting on a motorcycle. He made believe he was out in the open air driving on the highway. He really like it. It took me a half an hour to get him off the motorcycle. 

It was a day Peter will never forget. A day full of fun for him. He asked me if he could come back the next day. I had to explain to him that all of the activities that went on the day before was only that one day and he would have to wait until next year.

Did I get any work done that day? The only work I accomplished that day was turning on my computer but what I accomplished was that my son got to see where I work and it made him happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment